Just for fun, I thought I would publish my business values statement, or business creed. I was introduced to the idea by Steven Covey in his book, “7 Habits Of Highly Effective People,” in which he advises people to create a mission statement. A business values statement is along those lines, but isn’t all encompassing like a mission statement, it just focuses on business.
Here’s the 21 keys in my business values statement:
1. I am a wealth creator, and attract money every day.
2. I am a thought leader.
3. I create a winning team. I’m careful about who rides on my business bus.
4. I love people and use money, and never get those two reversed.
5. Regarding my business associates, my job is to keep them in their greatness.
6. I speak positively of others, and defend those that are absent.
7. I am never cocky, needy, or greedy.
8. I work harder on myself than I do on my business.
9. I refuse to participate in financial downturns. I create my own economy.
10. My work environment is a “no drama” zone. No gossip, no whining.
11. I don’t “spend” time. I focus on the 20% that earns 80%
12. I am a master delegator and don’t waste time on triviality.
13. In tough times, I am the first to arrive and the last to leave.
14. I respect money and use it wisely. My business is fed, not bled.
15. I do not separate my business and religion. I live my religion through my business and am a shining light and good example to others.
16. I leverage my time and resources through effective use of technology.
17. I spend a lot of time with those that share my values, and little time with those that don’t.
18. I am strictly honest, and don’t steal in any way, including music, movies, and software. I am 100% trustworthy.
19. I add more to the marketplace than I take.
20. I am an example of charitable giving in both time and money.
21. I leave my work at work. At home I am 100% husband and dad.
I keep these above my desk on a huge sticky note, and review them every morning. As you can see, it’s personal to me, but I hope you get some good ideas from this for your own statement. Feel free to “Rob and Duplicate” all you want!.